SPR Arts and Music Director (full-time, 40 hrs./wk.)
Spokane Public Radio is in the middle of an important programming transition. Our long-time arts and music director is retiring and we’re recruiting the next generation to carry our programming forward.
Our ideal candidate is dynamic, energetic and has creative vision, with a track record of building interesting content for the radio and the web. We’re seeking someone with a broad creative background, a person who can conduct interesting interviews with people in a variety of artistic genres, also with the chops to host a classical or jazz show when needed. This person must have the ability to develop and carry out a project from start to finish, the passion for teaching people about the arts, and the capacity to build and nurture relationships with creative people in our listening communities.
For more than 40 years, SPR has been a leading promoter of the arts in eastern Washington and northern Idaho. We plan to maintain that position and broaden our appeal to listeners in underserved groups.
This is a full-time position, medical and additional benefits offered
- Interview musicians, artists, writers and other creative people for radio, podcasts and online
- Produce arts-related features/programs
- Host station-related arts special events, such as Kids’ Concerts
- Classical and/or jazz music shifts as necessary
- Serve as the main station contact for the arts
- Establish, grow and maintain partnerships with community arts organizations and schools
- Work with SPR’s outreach and marketing team to foster community engagement
- Serve as the site supervisor and/or liaison for arts and music interns
- Assist with on-air fund drives
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively
- Excellent written and editorial skills
- At least two years radio hosting experience, preferably in the arts
- Familiarity with Spokane Public Radio and public radio in general
- Proficiency in digital software such as Adobe Audition or Hindenburg
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Strong understanding of audience-focused engagement
- Knowledge of digital platforms and social media best practices
If you want to impact the Spokane community and are interested in living in the beautiful Inland Northwest, please send a cover letter, resume and links to three of your best pieces of work (programs, stories, features, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, May 19, 2022. No phone calls please.
SPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minority Applicants are encouraged to apply.